Saturday, February 21, 2026

DD India

Top Stories of the Day

January 19, 2026 9:47 PM IST

France | emmanuel macron | french president | french pm | Sebastien Lecornu | budget deal | Socialists

France edges towards budget deal with Socialists welcoming PM’s concessions

France was moving closer to a 2026 budget deal on Monday after the government presented a last-ditch proposal that made concessions to most political parties, senior Socialist lawmaker Boris Vallaud said, ahead of a cabinet meeting on Monday afternoon.

President Emmanuel Macron’s government lacks a majority in parliament and 2026 budget negotiations in the fragmented legislature have dragged on for months, forcing a rollover budget in the meantime to keep the country afloat.

Needing to win support from the Socialists without alienating conservatives, Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu on Friday said he would no longer cut a tax rebate on pensions, and that a monthly income supplement benefit for low‑income workers would rise by some 50 euros per month for 3 million households.

Cheap meals for students in university canteens would be extended, and steps would also be taken to boost affordable housing. To help finance these measures, a corporate surtax on large companies, which was supposed to last only one year, would be extended through 2026 and raise 8 billion euros.

“The Prime Minister’s announcements allow us to imagine that we will not need to vote no-confidence,” Vallaud, who leads the Socialists in the National Assembly, told daily newspaper Le Parisien in comments published on Monday.

BYPASSING PARLIAMENT ‘A VERY DANGEROUS PATH’

Lecornu’s office said late last week that it was impossible to adopt a budget by a vote in parliament, meaning he will have no choice but to bypass parliament either by invoking special constitutional powers or adopting the budget by executive order.

Both options would mean a no-confidence vote against the centrist government, making the Socialists’ support critical for its survival.

Vallaud said “assurances” were still needed on the reintroduction of a property wealth tax and the taxation of holding companies to improve the country’s deficit levels.

Lecornu repeated on Friday the budget deficit would be no higher than 5% of GDP, and possibly lower.

Cabinet ministers will meet on Monday at 4 pm (1500 GMT), according to the President’s office. They will discuss options for pushing the budget through without a vote in parliament, government spokeswoman Maud Bregeon told Franceinfo on Sunday.

Prime Minister Lecornu’s office added he and Bregeon will speak to reporters following the meeting.

Budget Minister Amelie de Montchalin told BFM TV on Monday it was necessary to avoid the collapse of the government which would leave the country without a budget.

“Article 49.3 is a very dangerous path. Guarantees are needed”, she said, referring to an article in the constitution allowing the budget to be pushed through without a vote.

“The good news is that the prospect of early legislative elections is receding, and the government should remain in place for the moment,” ING analysts said in a note on Sunday.

“However, the final budget is far from business‑friendly, and the tax increases are likely to weigh on investment and hiring in 2026, with a negative impact on economic growth.”

(Reuters)

Visitors: 8,765,315

Last updated on: 20th February 2026

Back to top