The Jharkhand government on Monday announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all examinations, results and selections associated with TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), meeting a key demand of students who had been protesting in Ranchi for 24 days over alleged irregularities in the recruitment system.
However, the decision triggered a fresh protest by candidates who had cleared the JSSC-CGL examination. The successful aspirants staged a demonstration at Project Bhawan in Ranchi, demanding that the cancellation decision be withdrawn and asserting that they would continue to pursue their rights through legal and democratic means.
The protesting candidates said the government’s decision had left them uncertain about their careers and argued that any irregularities should be investigated and action taken only against those found responsible.
One of the protesters appealed to the government to reconsider the decision, saying, “Following the government’s decision, I am left on the streets. I would like to tell my mother and father – please, have patience. We will win again.”
Another candidate alleged that the decision disregarded a court order and said the protesters would seek legal remedies. “I will fight for my rights,” the candidate said.
The candidates also demanded that the government conduct a detailed investigation rather than cancel the entire examination. “We joined through a fair process, so why is such a step being taken? We say: conduct an investigation. If any errors are found during the investigation, remove those specific individuals,” another protester said.
A successful candidate claimed that the appointments had been made following judicial proceedings and expressed concern about the impact of the cancellation on those who had already joined government posts.
“We were appointed following a High Court division bench ruling. We had the Supreme Court’s seal of approval, yet suddenly, in an instant, we became unemployed,” the candidate said, adding that many aspirants had resigned from previous jobs after securing appointments.
The candidates said they would approach the courts again if necessary, particularly over the impact of the cancellation on those who had already joined service.
Government cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL examinations
The decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination was taken at a special Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren.
Addressing the media at Jaipal Singh Stadium, CM Soren said the government had decided to cancel all activities undertaken by TDPL in connection with examinations, including examinations conducted, results published and candidates selected or participating through the agency.
The State Cabinet also approved cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.
CM Soren announced a comprehensive inquiry into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and JSSC from 2014 to the present.
He said investigations by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had brought several “shocking facts” to light, including indications of a wider network involving multiple agencies and companies that had operated at different points of time.
The Chief Minister said the inquiry would examine the recruitment process to identify irregularities and those responsible. He also announced that the investigation into the JPSC Civil Services examinations would be conducted under the supervision of a retired judge.
Soren said some people appointed through JPSC examinations have already been arrested in connection with alleged irregularities.
Government announces examination reforms
CM Soren said the government would strengthen the existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) governing competitive examinations and ensure greater transparency at every stage, including examination conduct, question-paper security, involvement of agencies, evaluation and declaration of results.
A committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been constituted to work with experts, educational institutions and other stakeholders and recommend further reforms.
The government has also launched a portal through which students, teachers and parents can submit suggestions on improving the examination system.
CM Soren said the objective was to create a system in which there would be no scope for paper leaks or other malpractice and to restore confidence among young aspirants.
Student protesters welcome cancellation
The government’s decision was welcomed by the students who had been protesting in Ranchi for 24 days over alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the JPSC and JSSC.
Aspirants gathered at Jaipal Singh Stadium became emotional and celebrated after the government accepted their key demand for cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato welcomed the government’s decision and thanked the Chief Minister, administration, police, media, students and parents for supporting the movement.
Mahato said students would cooperate with the ongoing investigations but stressed that the government must establish a system capable of preventing examination irregularities in the future.
While describing the government’s action as a significant step, he said the students were “not fully satisfied yet” and that their broader struggle for education and examination reforms would continue.
Another student leader, Piyush Kumar, described the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL and TDPL examinations as only the “first step”. He said demands including a CBI investigation and other issues raised by the students remained pending.
(With agency inputs)




