Tuesday, August 18, 2026

DD India

Top Stories of the Day

August 18, 2026 9:34 PM IST

MEA Spokesperson | Randhir Jaiswal | electoral system | MEA | Ministry of External Affairs | Donald Trump

MEA highlights ‘credibility and robustness’ of India’s electoral system after Trump’s remarks

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Tuesday reiterated the credibility of India’s electoral system, reaffirmed its commitment to combating terrorism and outlined New Delhi’s positions on a range of regional and international issues, including Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and the earthquake in Indonesia.

Addressing the ministry’s bi-weekly media briefing, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said India’s election machinery has established its credibility and robustness globally, while declining to directly comment on US President Donald Trump’s recent remarks praising aspects of India’s electoral system.

Trump had cited India’s voter identification requirements while renewing his call for the US Congress to pass the SAVE America Act, which seeks stricter voter registration and identification requirements for federal elections in the United States.

“I have no specific comments to make on these remarks. However, I can say that the credibility and robustness of India’s election machinery are well-established facts globally,” Jaiswal said.

Trump had referred to India’s 2024 general election and claimed that 646 million voters participated, with less than one per cent voting by mail and voters being required to possess valid photo identification. US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor also endorsed Trump’s remarks.

The proposed US legislation would require documentary proof of citizenship for federal voter registration and valid photo identification at polling stations.

India reiterates zero-tolerance approach to terrorism

On terrorism, the MEA said India would continue to take whatever measures are necessary to defeat the threat, following the initiation of proceedings for a trial in absentia against six Pakistan-based accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.

Jaiswal said India had suffered heavily from terrorism and would continue efforts to strengthen international cooperation against the menace.

“These are very serious things. We take it very seriously. We want the global community to understand the gravity of such actions,” he said, adding that India would continue to take “whatever action is required” to defeat terrorism.

Mumbai Police has initiated the process for proceedings against six absconding accused, including Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Sajid Mir, Abu Alqama, Asim alias Abu Qahafa and Major Abdur Rehman Pasha.

The move invokes provisions under Section 356 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), 2023, which allows proceedings against certain absconding offenders in their absence.

Jaiswal also reiterated the government’s position regarding an alleged Pakistan-based and ISI-backed Shahzad Bhatti terror network. His remarks came after Indian security agencies conducted coordinated operations across 14 states and arrested or detained a large number of alleged operatives.

PoK residents need international sympathy and solidarity: MEA

On the situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, Jaiswal said residents continue to face shortages of essential commodities and other difficulties and called for international attention to their plight.

“Many lives have been lost, and a large number of people have suffered casualties and injuries,” he said, adding that severe restrictions had been imposed on essential commodities and everyday items.

“The local population needs and deserves sympathy and solidarity from the international community,” Jaiswal said.

His remarks came amid protests in several parts of PoK, where residents have demonstrated against local authorities and the actions of Pakistani security forces. Protest rallies have reportedly taken place in areas including Muzaffarabad, Rawalakot, Bokhara and Mandhol.

India-Bangladesh ties to remain focused on mutual interests

On relations with Bangladesh, the MEA reiterated India’s desire for “positive, constructive and forward-looking” ties based on mutual interests and reciprocity.

Jaiswal said requests concerning the extradition of former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina were being examined through India’s established procedures.

“Our position on the issue of extraditions has been consistent. These requests are being examined as part of our established processes,” he said.

Dhaka has urged New Delhi to act expeditiously on its extradition request and has linked the issue to creating a conducive environment for Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman’s proposed visit to India.

Jaiswal said India’s position remained unchanged and that the matter would be dealt with according to established procedures.

Teesta issue to be discussed through bilateral mechanisms

On the Teesta river and other water-related issues, the MEA said India and Bangladesh would continue discussions through the Joint Rivers Commission (JRC) and existing structured dialogue mechanisms.

The two countries share 54 rivers, Jaiswal noted, adding that water-related cooperation has to be addressed through established bilateral channels.

“India’s views on the Teesta River project have been previously conveyed to the Bangladesh side,” he said.

The Teesta issue has remained unresolved for years, with Bangladesh seeking a greater share of the river’s waters. Renewed attention has emerged following Bangladesh’s efforts to advance a comprehensive Teesta river management and restoration project with Chinese support.

On Bangladesh’s separate request for an additional 8,000 litres of fuel, Jaiswal said India was examining the proposal while taking into account its own requirements, refining capacity and fuel availability.

India maintains engagement with Afghan people

The MEA also defended India’s participation in an Afghan “Victory Day” event held in New Delhi, saying India’s engagement with Afghanistan remains guided by humanitarian assistance, development cooperation and its long-standing relationship with the Afghan people.

Jaiswal confirmed that Joint Secretary (PAI) Anand Prakash attended the event on behalf of the Government of India.

“India shares a long-standing relationship with the Afghan people,” he said, adding that India’s engagement with Afghanistan had gained momentum over the past year through diplomatic exchanges, humanitarian assistance and development cooperation.

India had elevated its technical mission in Kabul to an embassy in October 2025, with its head designated as Charge d’Affaires.

Jaiswal also referred to India’s previously stated position regarding the condition of women in Afghanistan, noting that women were among those attending the New Delhi event.

India stands with Indonesia after deadly earthquake

The MEA also expressed condolences over the loss of lives in a powerful earthquake in Indonesia and said India was prepared to extend all possible assistance for rescue and relief efforts.

“India stands in solidarity with Indonesia, and we remain committed to extending all possible assistance in support of relief and rescue efforts in the country,” Jaiswal said.

According to Indonesian authorities, the 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck East Nusa Tenggara on August 15 had claimed 70 lives and injured 132 people. Forty of those injured were reportedly in serious condition, while thousands remained displaced in evacuation centres.

The Indonesian authorities also reported thousands of aftershocks in the Flores region following the earthquake. Search and rescue teams have been deployed to affected areas, including isolated locations, with helicopters being used to transport medical personnel and evacuate people requiring treatment.

The MEA said India conveyed its condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and prayed for the recovery of the injured and the safety of rescue and relief personnel.

(With agency inputs)

Last updated on: 18th August 2026

Back to top