Union Minister of State for Science and Technology Jitendra Singh on Wednesday said the Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) Fund has stringent safeguards to prevent conflicts of interest and protect taxpayers’ money as well as private capital, while inviting stakeholder suggestions for further strengthening the framework.
Singh made the remarks while chairing the monthly review meeting of Science Ministries and Departments at Technology Bhawan in New Delhi.
During the meeting, officials informed the Minister that disbursal of RDI funds to some selected firms had already been completed, while payments to the remaining eligible firms were being processed and would be completed shortly.
The Minister stressed that due diligence and verification must remain uncompromised but directed officials to ensure that funds are released within faster and more responsive timelines so that eligible firms can proceed with their projects without unnecessary delays.
Singh said the RDI Fund involved a shared responsibility as 50 per cent of the investment is expected to come from private equity sources. He emphasised that investment committees therefore have a responsibility to safeguard both public funds and private capital.
The Minister was also informed that the process for selecting Second-Level Fund Managers (SLFMs) was underway and was expected to be completed within around two weeks. The fund managers will identify deserving companies and support investments within the approved RDI framework.
Officials said the selection and onboarding process for SLFMs was being carried out transparently to ensure fairness and equal opportunity.
RDI Fund scope to expand
The meeting also reviewed proposals to broaden the sectoral scope of the RDI Fund to cover emerging and strategically important technologies.
Inter-ministerial consultations were conducted to identify areas of national importance that may require support beyond the sectors initially proposed. The suggestions were subsequently examined by an expert committee, which recommended expanding the scope to make the framework more flexible and responsive to changing technological priorities.
The discussions also recognised the rapidly evolving nature of technologies, including artificial intelligence, and the need for India’s innovation-support ecosystem to accommodate emerging fields.
Singh said the government was seeking to create a more competitive and responsive environment for private-sector participation in research and development, while maintaining the necessary scrutiny before public funds are released.
Officials informed that the first round of application assessment had been completed and positive recommendations were ready for eligible applications. The focus is now on completing the remaining stages without avoidable delays.
Focus on science-industry collaboration
The meeting also reviewed measures to strengthen coordination and information sharing among science and technology departments and institutions. Greater collaboration among scientific organisations was encouraged to identify common areas of interest, develop synergies and avoid duplication of efforts.
Progress under the Sah-SANKALP initiative, a resource book showcasing technologies developed through government-supported research, was also reviewed. Of the 60 technologies featured, 56 have already been deployed at the grassroots level, while 41 have reached Technology Readiness Levels of 8 or 9.
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has also received interest from enterprises and entrepreneurs in adopting 38 technologies showcased under the initiative, with potential technology users being connected with relevant laboratories.
Singh also called for stronger communication of scientific achievements through contemporary and accessible platforms. The meeting discussed greater coordination among communication and social media teams of science departments and increased use of short-form digital content to highlight technology transfers, industry partnerships and societal applications.
A proposed digital library of science and technology success stories was also discussed. The initiative would create a common repository of validated content, including two-to-three-minute videos showcasing achievements of laboratories and scientific institutions.
ESTIC, Swachh Sagar campaigns reviewed
Preparations for the Emerging Science, Technology and Innovation Conclave (ESTIC) 2026, scheduled to be held from October 27 to 29 at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi, were also reviewed.
Three Nobel laureates and three other distinguished international award recipients have confirmed their participation, while further confirmations are expected. The exhibition is being expanded to up to 150 stalls, including those of ministries and departments, sponsors, deep-tech startups and an ESTIC Innovation Booth.
The meeting also reviewed preparations for the Swachh Sagar Surakshit Sagar (SSSS) Campaign 2026, scheduled from September 12 to 19 across 111 identified beaches. The campaign will involve fisherfolk, educational institutions, NCC, NSS, Scouts and Guides, voluntary organisations and private stakeholders.
Officials said a dedicated website, dashboard and mobile application had been created for the campaign, alongside digital outreach, competitions and the Ocean Olympiad.
The meeting further discussed the proposed monthly “Vigyan Ki Baat” lecture series, expected to begin on August 29, as well as science and innovation-based competitions and quizzes in collaboration with MyGov.
The review meeting was attended by senior officials including Science and Technology Secretary Umesh V. Waghmare, Biotechnology Secretary Rajesh S. Gokhale, Scientific and Industrial Research Secretary and CSIR Director General N. Kalaiselvi, Earth Sciences Secretary Srinivasa Kumar Tummala, Space Secretary and ISRO Chairman V. Narayanan, Technology Development Board Secretary Rajesh Kumar Pathak and the CEO of the Anusandhan National Research Foundation, besides other senior officials.




