Rafael Nadal is all set to return to major slams. The Spaniard will play at the Australian Open in January, tournament director Craig Tiley said on Wednesday, October 11. Thhe 37-year-old former world number one returns to the sport after undergoing hip surgery earlier this year.
“So pretty excited to see him hitting and feeling really good about it and obviously there’s still a bit of time between now and January. But if he stays healthy that’s important, but so far the early signs been really good,” Tiley said.
Nadal has won 22 Grand Slam titles in his career. He has been out of action since January after hurting his hip flexor in a second-round defeat at the Australian Open. He underwent surgery on a hip muscle in June and was expected to be sidelined for about five months.
Tiley also gave an insight on Australian Nick Kyrgios, who could return at the Melbourne Park Grand Slam after he underwent knee surgery in January and suffered wrist and foot issues in an injury-plagued 2023.
“The one thing great about Nick (Kyrgios); he’s very transparent and very open about what he’s feeling and what he thinks. I personally believe in the communication that he’s motivated to come back and play in January,” Tiley said about Aussie Nick Kyrgios
The Tennis Australia boss also revealed plans for a new courtside bar at Melbourne Park, which would ring an outside court.
Meanwhile, Novak Djokovic will be heading into the tournament with high hopes of winning another major in his already existing 24.
Among women players, former champions Naomi Osaka, Angelique Kerber and Caroline Wozniacki would also be back in action.
(Input from Reuters)