Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday said the floods last month caused damage estimated at Rs 480 crore and affected 26,681 houses across the state.
Addressing a press conference, Sarma said 96,842 flood-affected families had so far received financial assistance of Rs 15,000 each, with the state government spending Rs 146.26 crore on the relief. He said another 3,000-4,000 families may receive the assistance.
Rapid damage assessment is currently underway in Charaideo, Sivasagar, Jorhat and Golaghat districts, the Chief Minister said.
“The second phase of the assessment survey will be finished on September 10 or 11. If there are any complaints, then our people will be ready to conduct the third phase of damage assessment. Our target is to release the flood damage amount to the flood-affected families before Durga Puja,” he said.
Sarma said that following consultations with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the state government would seek to expedite construction of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) houses for eligible beneficiaries in Charaideo and Sivasagar.
The Chief Minister had on Sunday reviewed relief, rehabilitation and restoration measures in the four affected districts and directed officials to expedite restoration work and ensure timely assistance to all affected families.
The review covered damage assessment, interim relief, restoration of schools and Anganwadi centres, bank moratoriums, insurance claims, and medical and veterinary camps.
“Nearly Rs 150 crore disbursed as interim relief. Remaining claims will be cleared by tomorrow,” Sarma said in a post on X.
He said 75 per cent of the flood damage assessment had been completed, with more than 1,000 surveyors deployed on the ground to complete the remaining work.
According to the Chief Minister, 793 schools are being repaired and are expected to be ready for the resumption of classes. Roads and other public infrastructure are being rebuilt on priority, while high-capacity pumps are operating round the clock to drain low-lying areas of Sivasagar.
He also said health camps were being expanded and disease outbreaks were being closely monitored. Loan relief and insurance claims were reviewed, with eligible beneficiaries urged to file their claims by August 30.
“We are mapping compensation and benefits to reach every household. My instructions to officials are clear: no one gets left behind, speed is non-negotiable, and there is zero tolerance for a lackadaisical approach,” Sarma said.
The Assam government has announced that it will spend approximately Rs 1,000 crore on relief, assistance and rehabilitation for people affected by the unexpected and abnormal floods that have impacted Sivasagar, Charaideo and Jorhat districts of Upper Assam since July 19.
(ANI Inputs)




